Condé Nast Entertainment’s global digital video teams create premium video content showcasing Condé Nast’s iconic global brands. Delivering on average over 1 billion video views per month, the team currently produces 4,000+ digital videos per year in all genres including non-scripted, documentary, how-to, comedy, animation, scripted, branded, virtual reality and (live) event programming.
We are looking for a creative and strategic leader to drive the continued growth of Condé Nast Entertainment’s leading digital video business across our Japanese operation, a primary function in our evolution into a 21st century world class entertainment company. As Head of Programming and Development, Japan Local Language you will build, oversee, and grow a digital video and audio IP portfolio and content strategy focused on local language content for Japanese audiences, with ambition for global appeal; supported by Programming and Creative Development leads. This role is based in Tokyo and reports to the VP, Digital Video Programming and Development, APAC Local Language.
The purpose of this role is to build and operate a programming and development division to drive audience growth and engagement with a focus on commercial revenue, delivering on Condé Nast’s preeminent portfolio of brands in the forms of:
• Originals, social video, and podcast content for global digital platforms (e.g. O&O, YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, TikTok, Line, Apple iTunes, Spotify), with focus on premium, scalable quality
• Live cultural events resonating on a global, regional, and or, local scale
• Syndicated series for local language and English language markets and OTT channels around the world
• Video franchises that transcend platforms and markets
In the early stages of the role, it may require identifying the human, financial and technology resources necessary for success, realigning roles and responsibilities for existing teams and/or recruiting, and establishing workflows and processes within CNE and with stakeholders across the company.
- Department / Condé Nast Entertainment
Job Title /Head of Programming and Development, Japan (Japanese Digital Video)
- Primary Responsibilities
IP Portfolio Management
• Oversee programming and creative development strategy for Japanese audiences; creating digital video and podcast content of Original, Cultural and Franchise IP that deliver on the brands’ iconic attributes and optimizes appeal on designated exhibition/distribution platforms and drive CNE business goals.
• Drive CNE audience and business goals for Japan through a strategic integrated programming calendar with a wide variety of digital video-led ideas - from large-scale productions to nimble concepts, packaged for Japanese local/global commercial and/or consumer revenue business models.
• Increase the volume and variety of our digital video content across multiple platforms and digital syndication to local and English language markets, leveraging a firm understanding of digital metrics and data analytics.
• Focus on quality while increasing the volume and diversity of content for multiple platforms and markets.
• Partner closely with brand editorial leads to identify adaptable IP at source, develop local language originals and social originals; and leverage brand equity.
• Oversee a localization pipeline of globally successful IP into Japanese channels, led by regional Localization Manager, identifying key series with Japanese market resonance, and unearthing local language IP with audience appeal for English Language and other Local Language channels.
• As required, deliver creative development for branded and commercial video working closely with Japan’s CNX teams.
• Oversee the budget and performance KPIs across all digital video and audio channels, including regular reviews with both global CNE and market and editorial brand stakeholders.
• Participate in ad hoc projects / activities as required by the business.
• Inspire your team to be relentless with premium storytelling development and execution, bringing fresh perspective to both the content itself and the people, processes and workflows behind it (e.g. rough cut notes, team screenings).
• Motivate world-beating ideation and iteration, leveraging a foundation of existing successful formats and IP while also exploring new digital video frontiers with a view to building on Condé Nast’s established reputation as the leading storyteller and global media entertainment business.
• Collaborate continuously with CNE digital video strategy partner, brand editorial, audience development and commercial teams to engage existing fans and appeal to new viewers.
• Exhibit and set a culture of professionalism and results-oriented purpose, leading the team with practical optimism, a collaborative spirit and resourceful attitude with stakeholders across Condé Nast.
• Through inspirational leadership, infuse the team with passion and drive to strive for greatness in the art of storytelling.
• Manage a team of programming and development leads co-located with Editorial, creating a core team structure of subject-matter experts in digital video, and platforms that is accountable to CNE KPIs and ultimately Condé Nast KPIs.
• Review and approve final cuts for publication.
• Partner with the other Local Language Heads of Programming and Development across Europe, APAC and Mexico/LATAM to build a robust network of programming and creative excellence.
• Establish workflows with production from inception to execution that deliver quality and exceptional storytelling, consistent communication, swift decision making, efficient budgeting, scheduling and deadline enforcement.
• Partner with Business Affairs & Operations to negotiate strategic deal terms with digital-first talent for original content across entertainment formats (digital video, podcasts), IP rights and distribution and/or licensing.
• Work closely with the People/HR and Legal enabling functions to establish and enforce recruiting, hiring management and compensation policies to attract world-class full-time employees.
- Desired Skills and Qualifications
• 7+ years experience in the digital media space as a professional and capable leader with inclusive style that garners respect and trust across stakeholders and team members.
• Proven ability to operate, balancing long-term value with near-term business goals, ability to manage heavy workload and prioritize appropriately .
• Excellent track record growing audience, overseeing creative execution, developing brand appropriate programming while achieving sustained digital and critical success.
• Entrepreneurial, strategic and holistic mindset, eagerness to learn and build, and a reputation as an nnovative, adaptable and proactive “doer” with desire to differentiate Condé Nast from the competition.
• Established creative sensibility, with soup to nuts experience in concept creation and execution of digital videos with culture-defining attributes and that have driven deep, organic engagement across multiple platforms; experience providing creative evaluation, advice and feedback.
• Knowledge of internet culture and wide digital video landscape (e.g. and not exclusive to YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, TikTok), the unique elements of each video platform and what makes particular videos successful on those platforms.
• Proven ability to understand the qualities required to greenlight projects to energise a growing video business.
• Entrepreneurial, strategic and holistic mindset, eagerness to learn and build, and a reputation as an innovative, adaptable and proactive “doer” with desire to differentiate Condé Nast from the competition.
• Successful experience navigating matrixed organizations.
• Proven ability to proactively identify and implement effective solutions to problems.
• Strong organizational skills and ability to prioritize and meet deadlines .
• Strong interpersonal communication skills (written and oral) with an emotionally intelligent communication style.
• Experience within a start-up or new line of business within a large, highly leveraged company .
• Familiarity with the brands and businesses of Condé Nast.
- Employment status
Permanent employee (with a probation period of 6 months)
including social insurance payments and transportation expenses
2 days a week (Saturday and Sunday), public holidays and New Year holidays
- 〒150-0002 Osuga Bldg., 2-11-8 Shibuya, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo Japan
(10 minutes’ walk from Shibuya Station or Omotesando Station)
- Please apply from here